The demand for personalized canopy tents, which are essentially custom-printed canopies, has been rising steadily across Australia and around most of the world’s major economies. A custom canopy is especially useful if you own a business, and if you have recently engaged in a series of outdoor events.
Since there is literally no ceiling on the various different styles in which they can be printed, a bespoke canopy can be distinguished amidst a sea of competing tents, thereby adding a significant strategic advantage to your business.
Apart from business purposes, custom canopy tents have also become increasingly popular with private individual who wish to enjoy the outdoors in a sheltered environment. They can also be used indoors if you can find one with the correct dimensions. Some more durable ones can even double up as playthings for your kids.
There are, however, several doubts regarding the best material for custom printing of canopies. There are several different materials available, and each one is slightly different. Here, we will try and explain the sort of fabrics, and recommend the one best-suited for a promotional tent.
Let’s dive in!
Types of fabrics generally used in a custom canopy tent
Cotton, nylon, polyester and canvas- these four materials share one point. All of these materials are used in the manufacture of a heavy duty canopy tent. The first of them to be used for canopies was canvas. It is an extremely breathable material, easy to use, and comparatively cheaper.
However, canvas is not very resistant to harmful UV rays. Neither can they withstand rainfall. That is why you must go for other materials which will be better options for a commercial pop up canopy.
What factors should I consider?
Before we recommend the best types of custom canopy fabric, ensure that the material possesses the following qualities.
- The fabric should be durable and resistant to wear. They should not split easily, especially during the process of setting up. The durability element is important when you are setting up larger tents, like the 10*10 versions.
Speaking of bigger gazebos, we found great models available at Extreme Canopy, which were retailing at extremely attractive prices. They are located in sunny California’s Huntington Beach city.
- The fabric must be waterproof. One of the commonest questions which every outdoors enthusiast has on his mind is often the age-old one: “are tents waterproof?” The answer depends on the type of fabric with which they are manufactured. This is one area where canvas falls short of expectations.
- The fabric must be able to withstand UV rays. This is almost a given, and you can choose from any of the fabrics listed in the next section without hesitation.
- Finally, it should be fire-resistant. This is a no-brainer obviously. No fabric is completely fireproof, but the ones you will see listed below are resistant to fire to a great extent.
Which fabric should I choose for my printed custom canopy?
Here are the best options for you.
- PVC-coated polyester canopy tops: If you are looking for a fabric which will suit your business and personal interests and also provide superior ROI, go for PVC-coated polyester fabrics. The standard polyester canopy is a long-standing favourite for manufacturing customised canopies as it is durable, long-lasting, resistant to fire, low-maintenance, and pretty inexpensive. In short, they might just be your go-to fabric!
But the PVC coating on top is what makes this fabric unmatchable. With a layer of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) protecting every inch of the polyester innards, the fabric becomes almost impermeable to UV rays and is water-resistant. The addition of the PVC is what does the trick.
PVC marquees are currently on top of all the materials used in making a custom canopy. They will also hold digital prints properly and for longer durations. What’s more, if you are planning to erect custom tents with logos, there is nothing better than PVC-coated polyester fabric.
The material dries easily and is resistant to the formation of mildew or algae after a spell of rain. These are some more advantages that justify their usage outdoors. For business and promotional purposes, there is nothing better than PVC-coated polyester as they are portable, easy to wrap-up and less bulky than any other material.
The downsides include gradual decrease in UV protection over time. Besides, some water will inevitably start seeping in if it rains a lot, and this seepage will only increase with the fabric’s age.
This is the fabric for that promotional tent you had in mind!
- Vinyl marquee fabric: These canopy tops are not very different from polyester. The primary difference is that this material has an added layer of vinyl coating on top of the fabric, instead of the PVC. Vinyl coating has several advantages. It increases UV resistance, is almost waterproof, and renders the fabric flame-retardant.
Vinyl coated custom canopy fabric is also an excellent option, but there is one major drawback. The material is extremely heavy, which makes it very difficult to move around. If you are looking to erect a commercial pop up canopy, you can easily go for vinyl fabric since they will provide the best conditions.
For non-permanent canopies that are commonly used for promotional purposes, you should probably give this option a miss! Vinyl coated marquee fabric has gradually lost its standing in the last few years.
- Polyethylene canopy fabric: This is another material you can choose. However, polyethylene is mostly used in semi-permanent and permanent structures due to their greater resistance to water and UV rays. This material will last for many years when used in structures that will remain immobile and which won’t require regular dismantling.
These last two points makes polyethylene unsuitable for a printed custom canopy. On promotional tours, you will have to dismantle and pack up the tent at the end of the day, and then return the next day to erect it again. Polyethylene fabric, despite all its advantages, will gradually weaken if it is used in such a manner on a regular basis.
From our own research and with inputs from the professionals at Extreme Canopy, we believe that the fabric you should choose is definitely PVC-coated polyester. Given its economical and durable nature, it will surely add a whole new dimension to the way your business’ promotional activities are conducted.
Plus, they also make for extremely attractive custom tents when printed with high-definition graphics and also your company’s logo.
For more pro tips, you can call (888) 201 1968 from across the United States for a free consultation.